Thursday, January 3, 2013

No music?

We have made a habit of playing worship music in our bedroom through the night.  This fills the room with God's presence and helps me drift to sleep with a sense of being wrapped in His arms.  If I wake I allow the songs to comfort me or more often, prompt me to pray.

Rick almost always finds sleep sooner than me so without adding extra noise I let my heart and mind sing along.

If I turn on my right side, my good ear pressed into the pillow, the music becomes quite muffled but I know that even then my spirit is absorbing the sounds, breathing in Jesus and exhaling praise.

Music soothes, excites, encourages and consoles.  Each life has a unique soundtrack.

Last night, knowing that much of my hearing ability is now impaired, I pondered the possibility of losing music entirely.  I find it hard to imagine.  For someone who has never had the ability to hear, would they know what they are missing?  For one who has lost the ability, would they still be able to listen to music they already know, allowing memory to create sound that nerves can not?

I would guess that someone has studied this.  Thankfully, I am not expecting to lose hearing in my right ear so these musings are simply theoretical.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you stopped by my place today.

    I wish you the best and pray for your complete healing through this very trying ordeal.

    You will be a blessing to many.

    I am so glad you chose to write your story.

    God bless you richly.

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I imagine the music is in your heart, I do know what you mean. I like to listen to Worship music when I drive. It keeps me from losing my temper when someone cuts me off in traffic, or does some other rude, unthinkable thing. When my Uncle is in the car with me, he'll even remind me to put it on if it isn't already. (Usually right after someone honks at me for not running over someone in the crosswalk when I have the green light... You've been here. You know driving in the city is a lesson in patience. ) I sent up a prayer for your healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you are doing this, Karin. May you sense God's peace and presence in the journey, and may he use your words as a means of blessing to many--or even to one. What a privilege to be used by God to minister to the life of another!

    ReplyDelete